Monday, May 30, 2011

Movie Review -- Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

I'll start by saying that I really, really likes this movie - it was the perfect way to spend a Sunday afternoon when the temperature outside is 100 degrees plus!  We elected to go full bore and saw it on the IMAX screen in 3D, so I think we got the full experience!
The story was great and the chemistry between Johnny Depp and Penelope Cruz was very good - they make a good couple, although there was nothing but teasing of this relationship, so all you mom's and dad's out there are safe to take your kiddies to see this movie.  The mermaids were suitably covered up, too.  No problems there for what I suspect is a PG-13 rating. 
Lots of action!  If I had to pick on anything in this movie, I'd say its the lack of sunlight.  Almost the entire thing is dark - nighttime, or in caves, or in basements or jungles.  Dark, dark, dark.  I'd say that was so noticeble to me it was distracting. 


And I think there was nothing new here - the thing we all loved about the first couple of movies was the amazing newness of the creatures, the seamen who were turned into sea creatures, the Craken, and all of that.  This movie was more character driven, which was very well done, but nothing truly CGI about it.  Even Blackbeard was driven by the force of the actor, Ian McShane, who is forceful enough on his own without any CGI additions.  Not a criticism, just a comment.
Go see it - you will enjoy some good, old-fashioned summer movie fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment