Sunday, May 22, 2011

What I'm Reading...

Finished with my Nora Roberts trilogy and I've moved on to something more contemporary - The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.  Seriously, if you don't know anything about this book, you need to come out from under that rock you're living under! Ha!


I had never heard of it until Colleen mentioned that she was reading it.  It's just the latest book for young people (taking the place of the Twilight series now that it's over, I guess.) And I have to say, I'm finding it really interesting.  It's a premise that I wouldn't have thought would interest young people, the world after an apocalypse.  Built around "the capital" are 12 communities that are dependent on the capital for food and their very livelihood.  There used to be 13 communities, but #13 rebelled and was destroyed.  Ever since, each community had a lottery each year and sends one young male and one young female to the capital to compete in a televised combat where only one survives.  Sounds pretty bleak, doesn't it?  But the author is doing a good job of making the characters seem "real" and someone we can connect to and care about.  I'm not very far along, but can't wait to see what happens.  There are 2 more books after this one, so looks like I'm in for some fun this summer!  Don't tell me what happens!


Of course, they're making a movie out of this one already.  Funny story, I just heard about this book about two weeks ago, and yesterday when we were at theater and there was a story about the making of this book on the pre-film screen entertainment and the actress who was picked to play Katniss, and the kids in the audience were whooping it up about the movie.  The two nerdy guys who were sitting by John both pumped their fists in the air and yelled out, "yeah!"  Ha!  Was I the last person to hear about it?  


Funnier yet, John has already listened to the first book in his jeep going to and from work last week.  He already knows what happens and he won't tell me!  That's just weird!

No comments:

Post a Comment