Wednesday, February 15, 2012

What I'm Reading....

I'm actually nearing the end of two books that I've been both listening to and reading on my eBook.  They are both fascinating, and I'm trying to find time to get them both done soon.
The eBook I've been reading is Outpost, by Adam Baker.  I found this one while skimming one of the book review sites that I read, Graeme's Fantasy Book Review.  He raved about it, so I decided to give it a try and I have to say he was right.  It has shades of the old movie, The Thing, and begins on an oil derrick in the Arctic. It also reminds me somewhat of the Star Trek episodes with the Borg.  Something terrible happens while this small group of oil rig workers are at work out on the rig, and they have to scramble to try to get home before they all starve or die.  I'm not finished yet, but they don't all make it, and the pandemic is reaching them.  I'll let you know if I like the ending soon.

The book I'm listening to, mostly on Wednesday's when I drive to and from town to visit Mom, is The Night Eternal: Book Three of the Strain Trilogy.  This is the final book in this series by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan.  I read the other two, and loved the first one, The Strain, but wasn't that wild about the second book.  But what the heck, I might as well finish the series...so I've been listening to it.  At first I wasn't that in to it, but as it nears the end, I'm finally getting to the action of the book.  Most of it at the beginning was too "wordy" if that makes sense (I guess you'd expect books to be wordy?)  Too much back story, I guess, and lots of soul searching by the characters.  It's been slow going, but I hope it ends well.  Vampires, fallen angels, human thugs and heroes, so all the elements are there.  We'll see... I hope that Guillermo decides to make a movie with this series...I've been trying to decide who will play each of these characters.  Now, which part will Ron Perlman play?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment