Thursday, April 26, 2012

Read this...

I read this today and it really struck a chord with me.  What do you think?  From retired Lieutenant General William G. Boykin:

 "We as believers have been promised that we will spend an eternity with God. Last Saturday, I was doing a men's conference in Fredricksburg, Virginia and I was praying during the worship service and something dawned on me and it was the Holy Spirit speaking to me. And the Holy Spirit said, "this is what I want you to share with My men today", and I'm going to share it with you and this is what it is: One day, we're going to stand before the gates of Heaven. Some of us want to be able to walk up there in a white robe and we want to sing Abba Father and Amazing Grace and we want to say to the Lord, "I worshiped You." But I want you to think about this: Here's the way I want to enter the gates of Heaven. I want to come skidding in there on all fours. I want to be slipping and sliding and I want to hit the gates of heaven with a bang. And when I stand up and I stand before Christ, I want there to be blood on my knees and my elbows. I want to be covered with mud. And I want to be standing there with a ragged breast plate of righteousness. And a spear in my hand. And I want to say, "Look at me, Jesus. I've been in the battle. I've been fighting for you." Ladies and gentlemen, put your armor on and get into battle. God bless you. " 

4 comments:

  1. Agreed! But how exactly shall we "battle" for Jesus? Serving our friends and family? Evangelizing? Missions?

    I guess my basic question is that my every day life is kind of a "bubble". I work in a nice environment, I have nice friends and family, etc. So where is the "battle" in all of it?

    Anyway, good message. Just hard to take and apply as a "to-do" list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My two cents:

      I like all the above, but for the battling part. I translate mine into - see these blood, sweat and tears? I was living life to the fullest like you expected me to do. And in living life, I have discovered you. Instead of sitting inside of a church full of hypocrites and posting on FB that I went to church today and did my duty.

      :)

      Delete
  2. i meant to post as a general not as a reply. my bad. :S

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think by doing what is right, modeling a life of knowing right from wrong, raising your kids and advising your friends that way, being kind, giving what you can, and helping those that you can, is a battle, especially when life "as we know it" is constantly pulling us away from that. I'd much prefer to worship in my own way, knowing that He hears me. Believe me, it's a battle. I really was moved by what the man said above. Glad it brought up some thoughts with you!

    ReplyDelete