Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Trying something new....

So I read on one of the gardening blogs that I read about propagating heirloom tomatoes from cuttings in the fall.  She says she takes cuttings and is able to have a whole new crop of tomatoes in her greenhouse during the winter, so I'm going to give it a try.
On day two the cuttings are starting to stand up straight - they look good!

I've taken 5 cuttings from my German Johnson plant (which hasn't done all that much this summer, I might add) and I'll see if it will do better this way.  I don't think my Juliette tomato is an heirloom or I'd try it with that one, its done so well all summer long.  

I might take a cutting or two from the Brandywine and Cherokee, too.  Once I pot them up in bigger pots I'll use this magic tomato food recipe that I used this spring - I think it really helped my garden potted tomato plants!  I'll let you know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment