Sunday, June 30, 2013

Movie Review --- The Heat

Okay, not exactly a chick flick like I thought it was going to be.  This is a basic cop buddy comedy, only this time with women as the main two characters.
I'm a big Sandra Bullock fan, so I've seen most of her movies...some are great and most are good.  There's a few truly bad movies in that group too (Speed 2, Two if by Sea...just to name two.) But most of her movies are touching and well done.  I'm also getting to be a fan of Melissa McCarthy, who's not afraid to be who she is and doesn't try to hide anything from the camera.  Very brave in this world of glossy magazine, stick-thin, surgery enhanced, Photo-shopped, sexy Hollywood actresses.
I liked the movie, it was very entertaining, although I have to say the language was rough.  Sandra plays and uptight, by the book FBI agent who using language like "the F word" and has closed herself off from other people emotionally, while Melissa plays a Boston cop who just "goes with it" using her emotions and language very colorfully (to put it mildly!)  These two bond throughout the movie in search of a bad drug lord (which really is just a side story to these two getting to know each other.)  There was a particular scene using snot that they should have just left on the cutting room floor.  I think that was a bit too much for me. But on a whole it was a cute movie.  It says something that the most likable person in the whole movie was Marlon Wayans character...what is this, bizzaro world?!!
I'll give it 3 stars.
I read this morning that they are already working on The Heat Two. Optimism!

No comments:

Post a Comment