Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Keeping Up With the Produce...

The tomatoes have slowed down some, but I've been buried in cherry tomatoes, so this morning I put two trays of cherries in the oven to slow dry all day on the "Warm" setting.  I do have a great dehydrator, but where is the darn thing...? I'm too impatient to go out and find the darn thing right now.
Here are the beautiful Snow White cherry tomatoes.  Don't they look lovely in the sunlight?  I love the light lemon color...these have become my favorite tomato of all time.  They have earned a place in my garden from now on.
Cut in half, cut side up, sprayed lightly with olive oil and sprinkled with dried Italian herbs - basil, oregano, sea salt and pepper.
 The second tray has the Yellow Cherry tomatoes with just a light sprinkle of sea salt.
I finally got to make the pesto today!  I made 7 half pints, and froze 6 of them.  Such a simple recipe, for such a delicious treat.  We love this stuff on sandwiches, on pasta, and I could eat a whole jar of it with a spoon! (No, I didn't....but I could!)
2 generous cups of basil leaves
1/2 c grated Parmesan-Reggiano cheese
1/3 c walnuts
3 cloves garlic
salt & pepper (about 1/2 tsp each, or to taste)

Pop into your food processor and drizzle in the olive oil as it whirls.  I don't really measure the oil, just add until the consistency feels right.

Then try that on a spoon....you will fall in love! Make yourself put the spoon down....really.....
Spoon into clean jars and pop into the freezer.  

I'm clipping my purple Red Velvet basil on Friday -- that thing has gotten so huge!  It's destined for a vinaigrette and I'll dry some for the spice cabinet.  Meanwhile, the house smells fantastic.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely tomatoes. I have never seasoned mine before drying but I will this year. Thanks!
    My only problem with pesto is that I love to put it on focaccia which is not great for my expandable waist.

    ReplyDelete