Saturday, June 20, 2015

Spring Garden Notes, June 20, 2015

The cow peas have started drying, so I'm bringing them in a handful at a time.  Growing up we called these things black-eyed peas. I think it's a southern thing!
UPDATE: Tonight on a cooking show I heard them called "field peas." Same thing.

It's been raining for two days straight, we've had about 5-1/2" of rain, so it's a bit of a mush pit out there.  I'm only going out in the morning and night, just to let the chickens and turkey in and out.

Here are the Grey Speckled Palapye Cow peas, from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds.  These are almost blue!
 These are the Shanty Pea Cow peas, also from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds,
 and here are the Holstein Cow peas, again from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds. Aren't these pretty!?
Just a handful of each so far, so I have lots of shelling peas in my future!

No comments:

Post a Comment