Sunday, June 21, 2015

Summer Garden Notes, June 21, 2015

Today is the first day of SUMMER!!  

We're getting rain, rain, rain and more rain.  I'm not complaining, but in some parts of Texas, they are getting WAY too much rain -- I feel so sorry for those who have experienced flooding.  We are high and don't worry about it much where we are, thank God.  We've gotten over 6-1/2" of rain in the past three day.  Our seasonal creek at the bottom of our property is running and it is beautiful.  I know we'll be hot and dry soon, but it's been a fantastic spring so far.

Today I gave one of the Italian Large Leaf Basil plants a BIG haircut.  I've got about 1 full pound of basil leaves here -- destined for pesto tomorrow.  I'll be freezing some of it for later.  There are two more pots of basil out there, one is a purple variety that I'm planning a vinegrette with later this week.  The whole house smells fantastic...my husband came down a few minutes ago (he's been glued to the golf game this weekend) and said he could smell it all the way upstairs.  
All three varieties of okra have now started to produce, I'm picking a few from each type every couple of days (when I can dodge the rain!)  Pretty soon I'll have enough to start making some fried okra -- our favorite way to eat it.

Hoping for a little sun tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment