Thursday, April 28, 2016

Trip to the San Antonio Botanical Gardens

I've been trying to get to the Botanical Gardens of San Antonio since I read about the Mexican Consulate's exhibit of Wings of the City by artist Jorge Marin.  We all tried to go last week, but it rained cats and dogs (and hail), so our trip got cancelled.  So yesterday Mari and I went on our own (both Johns were busy doing something else)  Thankfully the day was beautiful!  Here are a few of the 9 statues that were on the grounds:
 This first one was "interactive" -- here I am interacting with it! Ha! Don't I look angelic?




I have to say, I enjoyed the Storybook Houses very much! These playhouses were built to represent specific children's books. They were quite whimsical! 
 This one represents a cloud brought down by Jack from Jack and the Beanstalk.  I would have never known - I'm glad they had some signs there to let us know.
 Next was Oh the Places You'll Go by Dr. Seuss! Those are all hula hoops wired together. I'm guessing it was a hot air balloon?
 A mine shaft, I guess.  It looks like it was made from pallet wood.  It was a book called Diary of a Worm, which I'm not familiar with.  Will have to look that one up this summer.
 This represented the book The Little House.  Another one I've not seen yet.  There's Mari looking it over - those are all long re-bar painted in different colors.  There was a castle representing Sleeping Beauty but I didn't get a photo of it.
The amphitheater area was tricked out in huge over-sized outdoor furniture for the kids, and there was a super-sized chess set on the lawn.  There were lots of kids all over the place from schools in San Antonio.

I really enjoyed the children's vegetable garden, too.  They are months ahead of my garden which tells you how great San Antonio's weather has been this year.

The whole place was beautiful, and I highly recommend it.  We'll be going back this summer during Mimi's Summer Day Camp during Bug Week for their Winged Wonders exhibit.  It begins on June 4th and runs until late fall.


No comments:

Post a Comment