Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Pickling Day, Again....

It rained again all morning, and part of the afternoon -- and by rain I mean it POURED!! Winds and storms.  I don't think we've ever seen so many days in a row of rainy weather.

So I tried to stay busy taking care of some more of the produce that was piling up in the fridge.  Today I started by making a quart of pickled spice beets with those beautiful golden beets.  So pretty.  This was such a simple recipe, too.

 Cover beets in water and boil until cooked, cool off and peel (the skins come off so easily, you can basically just rub them off), then slice.
 This recipe called for cinnamon and allspice, along with the usual pickling spice.  These are added to the water, sugar and cider vinegar and boiled.  Then pour over the beets, put the top on and put in the fridge for a couple of weeks.  All done!

Next up I still had a huge pile of cucumbers, so decided to make some Bread and Butter chunks with them.  I cut them up, sprinkled on the canning salt, and covered with ice for a couple of hours.
 One of my cucumbers was square!
 I had enough to make 8 pints of these pickles. 
Good eats in a couple of weeks!

It's supposed to rain again tomorrow, all day.  Sigh....

No comments:

Post a Comment