Saturday, April 15, 2017

Spring Garden Log -- April 15, 2017


Awake, thou wintry earth -
Fling off thy sadness!
Fair vernal flowers, laugh forth
Your ancient gladness!
~Thomas Blackburn, "An Easter Hymn"


Everything's planted, so now it's just a matter of keeping an eye on things! The squash house is sprouting everywhere - all of the beans and the squash are up and growing. I think this will be a wonderful sight to see when they've covered the arches!



The peppers are showing up. Here's a jalapeno already....
 ...and this Cubanelle is getting quite big!
I spent a good hour thinning out the tomato plants -- too many leaves! They need to be trimmed to allow air flow and to keep them from touching the ground.  I'll have to continue this every couple of weeks. 
 I only had to clip a few to the wire this time, but I'm sure I'll be securing all of them pretty soon.


The cucumbers are looking great....
...and I think these are the tallest tomatillo that I've every grown. They're covered in fruit too! 
 View of Beds #1 and #2
 Full view of the Squash House
 Full view of Bed #4
The herb garden is filling in nicely.
 John put two burr oak acorns in a pot this past winter and they stayed in there all winter.  I think he had given up on them, but I just put the pot out when I emptied the greenhouse, and look what happened!  Both have sprouted!
 And finally, I planted some begonias around the big oak tree outside our side door.  I think it looks like spring there now - the garden gnome approves!

No comments:

Post a Comment