Sunday, May 20, 2018

Piles and Piles of Peaches....

I'm remembering the old saying, "be careful what you wish for!" Well, I've always wished for fresh peaches right off my own trees.  And I'm getting my wish -- to the max!  

There are trays and bowls of peaches all ripening in various stages on our kitchen table.  So far we have 96.2 pounds! Oh my!

I've been cutting them up and freezing most of them, along with making a couple of peach cobblers, and a peach tea one weekend. I'll be doing that again -- it was delicious!!  

 Pickin' the peaches...

I decided to try making peach wine again -- this time with a new recipe.  This one doesn't have orange juice in it, which is what I think gave it that odd taste that I didn't like.  This recipe uses tannin as an additive to give the wine body. I started this in the wine bucket on Saturday, and then mashed the peaches and added the yeast today.  As usual, this will be stirred daily for 5 days.  
 Starting the peach wine "must."

Next I tried my hand at jam again.  I swear, I can't seem to get this right. If this batch doesn't jell, I'm done with jam! I follow the recipe to the letter, but still have so much trouble with this skill.  

 Boiling the peaches with the pectin.
 Pouring into the 8 oz. jars.
Sealing and water bath.

Next I'll be juicing a big batch of these to use in peach tea, peach Bellini's, and slushies. Sigh...

No comments:

Post a Comment